Royal Society University Research Fellow (2005-2014), Professor of Nanomaterials at UCL Healhcare Biomagnetic and Nanomaterials Laboratories and Department of Physics and Astronomy. She leads a very dynamic research team focused on the design, synthesis and study the physical properties of nanomaterials as well as their applications in biomolecular and biomedical research. She is also a visiting Professor at European Engineering School in Chemistry, Polymers and Materials, University of Strasbourg, France and Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Japan.
In 1994, she was selected for an EU-funded PhD position in Biochemistry. In 1999, she undertook postdoctoral work in medicinal chemistry at Aston University. In 2001, she moved to the United States to take advantage of pioneering work in nanotechnology, an emerging and rapidly growing field of science. In 2003, she joined the Liverpool Centre for Nanoscale Science. In 2005, she was awarded a prestigious Royal Society University Research Fellowship and University of Liverpool lectureship. She was based at Department of Chemistry (ranked 7th in the UK in 2008 RAE) and School of Biological Sciences. In January 2009, she was appointed a UCL-RI Readership in Nanotechnology and based at The Davy Faraday Research Laboratory, The Royal Institution of Great Britain, London, UK. .
*: corresponding author
47. Y. Wang, C. Blanco-Andujar, Z. Zhi, P.W. So , N. T. K. Thanh, J. C. Pickup (2013) Multilayer nanocoatings incorporating superparamagnetic nanoparticles for tracking of pancreatic islet transplants with magnetic resonance imaging. Chem Comm. 49: 7255-7257 . Impact Factor 6.4
46. O. Mondal, N. T. K. Thanh, L.A.W. Green, M. Pal (2013) Improved and unusual magnetic properties of ZnO nanorings. Functional Materials Letters. In Press.
45.M. Edmundson, N.T.K Thanh, B.Song (2013)Nanoparticles based stem cell tracking in regenerative medicine, Invited Review. Theranostic. doi:10.7150/thno.5477 . Impact Factor: 7.0
44. A. Giri, N. Goswami, M. S. Bootharaju, P. L. Xavier, R. John, N.T. K. Thanh, T. Pradeep, B. Ghosh, A. K. Raychaudhuri and S. K. Pal. (2012) Emergence of Multicolor Photoluminescence in La0.67Sr0.33MnO3 Nanoparticles. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116: 25623-25629 . Impact Factor: 4.8
43. C. Blanco-Andujar, D. Ortega, Q. A. Pankhurst, N.T. K. Thanh* (2012) Elucidating the morphological and structural evolution of iron oxide nanoparticles formed by sodium carbonate in aqueous medium. Journal of Material Chemistry. 22: 12498-12506 Impact Factor: 6.1
40. K. Stojak, H. Srikanth, P. Mukherjee, M. H. Phan and N. T. K. Thanh* (2012) Size- and Shape-Variant Magnetic Nanoparticles: Synthesis and Characterisation for Biomedical Applications, In: "Complex-Shaped Metal Nanoparticles:Bottom-Up Syntheses and Applications ". Ed Tapan K. Sau and Andrey L. Rogach. Willey. p 183-214.
39. B. Kozissnik, L. A. W. Green, K. Chester, N. T. K. Thanh* (2012) Strategy for functionalisation of magnetic nanoparicles for biological targets. In: "Magnetic nanoparticles: from fabrication and clinical applications". Ed. N.T.K. Thanh, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton London New York. p 129-150.
38. T. T. Thuy, S. Maenosono, N. T. K. Thanh* (2012), Next Generaion Magnetic Nanoparticles for biomedical application. In: "Magnetic nanoparticles: from fabrication and clinical applications". Ed. N.T.K. Thanh, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton London New York, p 99-128.
37. N. T. K. Thanh* (2012) Preface, In: "Magnetic nanoparticles: from fabrication and clinical applications". Ed. N.T.K. Thanh, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton London New York.
36. T.T. Thuy, D. Mott, N.T.K. Thanh and S. Maenosono (2011) One-pot Synthesis and Characterization of Well Defined Core@Shell Structure of FePt@CdSe Nanoparticles, RSC Adv 1: 100-108. Top ten most accessed articles in July-August 2011
35. X. Meng, H. Seton, L.T. Lu, I. Prior, N.T.K. Thanh*, B. Song (2011) Tracking transplanted neural progenitor cells in spinal cord slices by MRI using CoPt nanoparticles as a contrast agent. Nanoscale, 3: 977-984. FRONT COVER. Impact Factor: 6.2
34. I. Robinson, L. D. Tung, S. Maenosono, C. Walti, N.T.K. Thanh* (2010) Synthesis of core-shell gold coated magnetic nanoparticles and their interaction with thiolated DNA. Nanoscale, 2: 2624 – 2630. Impact Factor: 6.2
33 .I. Robinson and N.T.K. Thanh* (2011) Recent Development for Synthesis of Magnetic Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications. International Journal of Nanoscience, 4: 1-8
32. I. Robinson and N.T.K. Thanh* (2010) New Chemical Methods for Synthesis of Magnetic Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications. AIP. Conf. Proc. 1275: 3-12
31. N.T.K. Thanh*, S. Biggs and J. Darr (2010) Preface, Nanoparticles Theme Issue, Page 1, Philosophical Transactions of Royal Society A.
30. N.T.K. Thanh* and L.A.W. Green (2010) Functionalisation of nanoparticles for biomedical applications. Nano Today, 5: 213-230. Impact Factor : 17.7 . 61 Citations by Nov 2012
29. C. Banco-Andujar, L.D. Tung and N.T.K. Thanh* Synthesis of Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications. Invited Review, Annu. Rep. Prog. Chem., Sect. A: Inorg. Chem. 2010, 106, 553-568
28. P. K. Verma, A. Giri, N.T.K. Thanh*, T.D. Le, O. Mondal, M. Pal, S. K. Pal (2010) Superparamagnetic Fluorescent Nickel-Enzyme Nanobioconjugates: Synthesis and Characterization of a Novel Multifunctional Biological Probe. Journal of Material Chemistry, 20, 3722-3728. Impact factor: 6.1
27. Q.A. Pankhurst, N.T.K. Thanh, S.K. Jones and J. Dobson (2009) Progress in Applications of Magnetic Nanoparticles in Biomedicine. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. Invited Topical Review. 42, 224001 . 193 Citations by Nov 2012
26. I. Robinson, S. Zacchini, L.D. Tung, S. Maenosono, N.T.K. Thanh* (2009). Synthesis and Characterization of Magnetic Nanoalloys from Bimetallic Carbonyl Clusters, Chemistry of Materials vol 13 pp 3021-3026. Impact factor: 7.3. 28 citations by Nov 2012
25. L. T. Lu, L. D. Tung, J. Long, D.G. Fernig and N.T. K. Thanh* (2009) Facile and Green Synthesis of Stable, Water-soluble Magnetic CoPt Hollow Nanostructures Assisted by Multi-thiol Ligands. Journal of Material Chemistry vol 19 pp 6023-6028 Impact factor: 6.1
24. I. Robinson, C. Alexander, L.D. Tung, D.G. Fernig and N.T.K. Thanh* (2009) Fabrication of water-soluble magnetic nanoparticles using thermo-responsive polymers. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials vol 321 pp 1421-1423
23. I. Robinson, M. Volk, L.D. Tung. G. Caruntu, N. Kay and N.T.K. Thanh* (2009) Synthesis of Co nanoparticles by pulsed laser irradiation of cobalt carbonyl in organic solution. Journal of Physical Chemistry C vol 113 pp 9497-9501
22. D. Ung, L.D. Tung, G. Caruntu, D. Delapostas, Y. Alexandrous, I. Prior, N.T.K. Thanh* (2009) Variant shape growth of nanoparticles of metallic Fe-Pt, Fe-Pd and Fe-Pt-Pd alloys . CrystEngComm. vol 11 pp 1309-1316. Impact Factor: 4.2
21. L. T. Lu, I. Robinson, L. D. Tung, B. Tan, J. Long, A. I. Cooper, D. G. Fernig, N. T. K. Thanh* (2008) Size and shape control for water-soluble magnetic cobalt nanoparticles using polymer ligands . Journal of Materials Chemistry vol 18 pp 2453 - 2458 Impact factor: 6.1. 23 citations by Nov 2012
20. L. M. Parkes, R. Hodgson, L. D. Tung, L. T. Lu, I. Robinson, D. G. Fernig, N. T. K. Thanh (2008) Cobalt nanoparticles as a novel magnetic resonance contrast agent-relaxivities at 1.5 and 3 Tesla. Contrast Media and Molecular Imaging. 3: 150-156
19. N. T. K. Thanh*, I. Robinson and L. D. Tung. (2007) Magnetic Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterisation and Biomedical Applications. Dekker Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 1 (1): 1-10
18. W. Haiss, N. T. K. Thanh, J. Aveyard and D. G. Fernig (2007) Determination of Size and Concentration of Gold Nanoparticles from UV/vis Spectra. Analytical Chemistry, 79 (11): 4215-4221. A most assessed article for 2007. Most read article from Analytical Chemistry 2012, Q1 2013. Impact factor: 5.9. Citation: 238 by 11/2012
17. I. Robinson, C. Alexander, L.T. Lu, L. D. Tung, D.G. Fernig and N.T.K .Thanh* (2007) One-step synthesis of monodisperse water-soluble ‘dual-responsive’ magnetic nanoparticles. Chemical Communications, HOT ARTICLE 44: 4602 - 4604 Impact factor: 6.4
16. E. A. Yates, C . J. Terry, C. Rees, T. R. Rudd, L. Duchesne, M. A. Skidmore, R. Levy, N. T. K. Thanh, R. J. Nichols, D. T. Clarke and D. G. Fernig (2006) Protein¿GAG interactions: new surface-based techniques, spectroscopies and nanotechnology probes. Biochemical Society Transactions, 34: 427-430
15. N. T. K. Thanh*, V. F. Puntes, L. D. Tung, and D. G. Fernig (2005) Peptides as capping ligands for in situ synthesis of water soluble Co nanoparticles for bioapplications. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 17: 70-76
14. N. T. K. Thanh*, A. Vernhet and Z. Rosenzweig . (2005) Gold Nanoparticles in Bioanalytical Assays and Sensors. In: G. Orellana and M. C. Moreno-Bondi ed(s). Frontiers in Chemical Sensors: Novel Principles and Techniques . Berlin Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag
13. Levy R, N T K Thanh, Doty R C, Hussain I, Nichols R J, Schiffrin D J, Brust M and Fernig D G (2004) Rational and combinatorial design of peptide capping Ligands for gold nanoparticles. Journal of The American Chemical Society, 126 (32): 10076-10084. Impact Factor: 9.9. 229 Citations by Nov 2012
12. M.A. Skidmore, S.J. Patey, N.T.K. Thanh, D.G. Fernig, J.E. Turnbull and E.A. Yates (2004) Attachment of glycosaminoglycan oligosaccharides to thiol-derivatized gold surfaces. Chemical Communication, 23: 2700-2701. Impact factor: 6.2
11. N. T. K. Thanh*, D. L. Rathbone, D. C. Billington and N. A. Hartell (2002) Selective recognition of cGMP using a polymer-based fluorescent chemosensor. Analytical Letters vol 35 issue 15 pp 2499-2509
10. N. T. K. Thanh and Z. Rosenweig (2002) Development of an aggregation based immunoassay for anti-protein A using gold nanoparticles. Analytical Chemistry, 74 ( 7): 1624-1628 Impact factor: 5.9. 272 Citations by Nov 2012.
9. N. T. K. Thanh, J. H. Rees and Z. Rosenzweig (2002) Laser based double beam absorption detection for aggregation immunoassays using gold nanoparticles. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 374: 1174-1178
8. N. T. K. Thanh*, D. K. Obatomi and P. H. Bach (2001) Increased urinary uronic acid excretion in experimentally-induced renal papillary necrosis in rats. Renal Failure, 23 (1): 31-42
7. N. T. K Thanh*, D. Obatomi and P. H. Bach (2001) Phospholipiduria in 2-bromoethanamine-induced renal papillary necrosis. Biomarkers, 6 (5): 326-334
6. N. T. K. Thanh*, G. Stevenson, D. K. Obatomi, B. Aicher, M. Baumeister and P. H. Bach (2001) Urinary lipid changes during the development of chemically-induced renal papillary necrosis: a study using mefenamic acid and N-phenylanthranilic acid . Biomarkers, 6(6): 417-427
5. N. T. K. Thanh*, G. Stevenson, D. Obatomi and P. H. Bach (2000) Determination of lipids in animal tissues by high performance thin layer chromatography with densitometry . Journal of Planar Chromatography vol 13 (5): 375-381
4. Bach P.H., N.T.K. Thanh (1998) Renal papillary necrosis - 40 years on. TOXICOLOGIC PATHOLOGY 26 (1): 73-91
3. D. K. Obatomi, N. T. K. Thanh, S. Brant and P. H. Bach (1998) The toxic mechanism and metabolic effects of atractyloside in precision-cut pig kidney and liver slices. Archives of Toxicology, 72 (8): 524-530
2. N. T. K. Thanh*, D. K. Obatomi and P. H. Bach (1997) Lipid profiling in renal and hepatic tissue slices following exposure to atractyloside. Biochemical Society Transactions 25: 35S
1. N. T. K. Thanh, L. G. Decnop-Weever and W. T. Kok (1994) Determination of sulphite in wine by flow injection analysis with indirect electrochemical detection. Fresenius Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 349: 469-472
1. D.G. Fernig, R. Levy, N.T.K. Thanh, R.C. Doty and J.A. Smith (2003) Nanoparticle conjugates and method of production thereof. Patent no (PCT/GB2004/003986)