Franco’s research ranges from the set-up of an original chemical vapour deposition method of heavily doped, conducting polymers, to the study of polymer LEDs and the control of their luminescent properties. Recent interests include supramolecular architectures for the control of the solid-state properties of organic semiconductors, in particular threaded molecular wires (www.threadmill.eu). Another strand of activities is aimed at top-down fabrication and characterisation of organic semiconductors (OS) nanostructures (including high-resolution fluorescence / photoconductivity imaging) by means of scanning near-field optical or thermochemical microscopes.
Franco was elected a Fellow of the American Physical Society in 2009.
· O. Fenwick, D. Credgington, A. Hammiche, G. M Lazzerini, Y Silberberg, and F. Cacialli. "Organic semiconductor nanostructures fabricated by use of a microthermal probe". Nature Nanotechnology 4, 664-668 (2009). www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v4/n10/pdf/nnano.2009.254.pdf
· D. Credgington, O. Fenwick, A. Charas, J. Morgado, K. Suhling and F. Cacialli. “High Resolution Scanning Near-Field Optical Lithography of Conjugated Polymers”, Adv. Funct. Mat. 20, 2842-2847 (2010). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201000202
· S. Brovelli, F. Meinardi, G. Winroth, O. Fenwick, G. Sforazzini, M. J. Frampton, L. Zalewski, J. A. Levitt, F. Marinello, P. Schiavuta, K. Suhling, H. L. Anderson, and F. Cacialli. “White electroluminescence by control of resonant energy-transfer in organic-soluble polyrotaxane:polyfluorene blends”, Adv. Funct. Mat. 20, 272-280 (2010). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adfm.200901764
· G. Winroth, O. Fenwick, M. A. Scott, D. Yip, S. Howorka, and F. Cacialli. "Interfacial dynamics of light-emitting diodes incorporating a poly(amidoamine) dendrimer monolayer", Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 043304 (2010), and Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology,
· S. Brovelli, T. Virgili, M.M. Mroz, G. Sforazzini, A. Paleari, H.L. Anderson, G. Lanzani, and F. Cacialli. “Ultra-broad optical gain and two-colour amplified spontaneous emission in binary blends of insulated molecular wires”, Adv. Mat. 22, 3690-3694 (2010). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201000895.