My background is Chemical Engineering but the last 13 years I have worked in the fields of Material Science. I have progressed from dielectric metal oxides for microwave communications to a broad range of functional materials used in the all of the EM spectrum. These investigations of crystal- and solid state chemistry are now transferred to thin-film processing.
Recent Research Publications
1. “Molecular auxetic behaviour of epitaxial Co-ferrite spinel thin film” Matjaz Valant , Anna-Karin Axelsson; Frederic Aguesse, Neil M Alford, Accepted to Advance Functional Materials, (2010)
2. “Influences of point defects in KTaO3 on low temperature dielectric relaxation, Anna-Karin Axelsson, Yuya Pan, Matjaz Valant, Neil McN. Alford, Awaiting Publication, Journal of European Ceramic Society, (2009)
3. “Chemistry, processing and microwave dielectric properties of Mn-substituted KTaO3 ceramics”, Anna-Karin Axelsson, Yuya Pan, Matjaz Valant, Neil McN. Alford, Awaiting Publication, Journal of American Ceramic Society (2009)
4. "Synthesis, sintering and microwave dielectric properties of KTaO3 ceramics”, Anna-Karin Axelsson, Yuya Pan, Matjaz Valant, Neil Alford, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol 92, Issue: 8 Pages: 1773-1778, (2009)
5. "Raman coefficients for multiferroic BiFeO3 with rhombohedral R3c symmetry", A Porporati, K. Tsuji, M. Valant, A-K Axelsson, N. Alford, G. Pezzotti, accepted by Journal of Raman Spectroscopy (2009)
6. ”Chemistry of post-annealing of epitaxial CoFe2O4 thin films”, Anna-Karin Axelsson , Matjaz Valant, Laura Fenner , Andrew S. Wills , Neil McN Alford Thin Solid Films, 517, (2009), pp. 3742-3747
7. Microscopic Theory of the Electrocaloric Effect in the Paraelectric Phase of Potassium Dihydrogen Phosphate", L. Dunne, M. Valan, A-K Axelsson, , Manos,G., N.Alford, Applied Physics Letter, Vol 93 Issue: 12, No. 122906 (2008)
Figure 1: The shaded area shows the field strength range, in which the
ferroelectric domain growth represents the major contribution to polarization and no significant Electrocaloric effect is detected
1)Microscopic Theory of the Electrocaloric Effect in the Paraelectric Phase of Potassium Dihydrogen Phosphate", Dunne, L., Valant,M., Axelsson, A-K, Manos,G., Alford,N., Applied Physics Letter, Vol 93 Issue: 12, No. 122906 (2008)
2) Molecular auxetic behavior is extremely rare in functional oxide materials. In this paper, it is reported in the CoFe2O4 spinel structure. The CoFe2O4 structure under compressive axial strain also reduces its cell dimensions in the transverse direction. A hinge-like honeycomb network in the spinel is responsible for the negative Poisson's ratio. The observed phenomenon significantly affects the functional properties of CoFe2O4.
3) Matjaz Valant , Anna-Karin Axelsson , Frederic Aguesse , Neil M. Alford Molecular Auxetic Behavior of Epitaxial Co-Ferrite Spinel Thin Film, Advanced Functional Materials, Volume 20, Issue 4, Pages 644-647